Measuring storage performance on Linux systems can be done using multiple tools. However, there is one set of tools that comes stock with Linux. These are blktrace and blkparse. These tools trace SCSI commands and data flow through the kernel from request to final write. These tools even show states most people do not know about, such as IO splits. Here is a short tutorial on how to use these tools to collect a trace. If you upload that trace to The Other Other Operation’s workload repository they’ll analyze it and post some results. You’ll help The Other Other Operation make better benchmarks and learn about how your application actually uses storage.
I’m tired of moving spam mail to spam folders from which the system never learns. So it’s time for me to try a new approach.
I recently upgraded my Codeweavers CrossOver Office from v10 to v11, and found some interesting changes that caused a little consternation, but also fixed a game I wanted to try and play, Red Alert 3. Eventually, I will try Uprising but first things first, this change will most likely fix all the Command and Conquer games in the future. Yet, Rise of Nations failed to work with 11.2 but worked just fine with the redacted CrossOver Games. Continue reading Codeweavers CrossOver Office 11.2.0 and Red Alert 3, Rise of Nations
Originally posted on March 26th. Updated for the Holiday Season!
I was in the market for a new Laptop, given that mine is at least 3 years old and starting to show its age with non-working USB ports, one blown power supply, and failing batteries. My requirements are slightly above the average:
Any laptop must be able to run the following at the same time within a hosted virtualization solution such as VMware Workstation or Fusion.
- VMware vSphere ESX 4
- VMware vSphere ESX 4i
- VMware vCenter Server on Windows 2008
- Virtual Storage Appliance (I use OpenFiler at the moment)
- Development Environment for my security script Continue reading Moving from Windows 7 to Mac OS Snow Leopard (Updated)
I recently upgraded my Fedora 12 Linux Machine on which I do development to the latest Kernel. After a reboot, I noticed the display went from my normal 1920×1080 down to 640×480. In addition, the monitor itself complained that this was not an optimum setting. I knew something was wrong, so I did the following:
- Went to the NVIDIA site and downloaded the latest drivers, mine were just a little old. After installing them, the problem was not solved.
- Logged in with the 640×480 resolution and ran gnome-display-properties and noticed it could not determine my monitor type.
- I searched the web some at this point and found two posts. Continue reading Fedora 12 Upgrade Lead to 640×480 Display Resolution — Solution
I was not able to get to my yard for 3 weeks so the grass was once more 4-5″ high and a bit damp from all the rain we had. My Neuton Power 6.3 mowed this down with no issues. The old Black & Decker CMM1000 in its heyday still would have taken 3 days to complete. While I took 2 days to finish everything with the Neuton Power it was not the lack of charge that slowed me down. But my own abilities to do everything in one day. Next time I fully expect to use just one battery charge for the entire yard. 1 charge got 3/4s of the field and the second battery wiped out the rest of the upper deck brush and the other half of the yard. This included using the weed whacker attachment. I know it is hard to picture my yard but let me tell you this is a vast improvement and the yard looks much better now. Continue reading Neuton Power — Still Positive