The upgrade to VSAN 6.2 did not go as smoothly as I wished. It was possible to do but required me to rebuild not only VSAN but my cluster as a whole as a rolling upgrade did not work as expected. Perhaps this is just the way I have my VSAN configured.
In my environment I use VCSA as it is generally far easier to manage. However, to do so, you still need either a single or multiple Microsft Windows helper VMs. The VMs run packages like SRM, vSphere Update Manager, HPE OneView, and other tools that integrate with VMware vCenter. I recently wanted to do some automation based on a few PowerCLI scripts and my version of PowerCLI was out of date. In order to bring it up to date, I either needed to reconfigure my W2K8R2 helper VM or create a new helper VM based on W2K12R2. I chose the later as it was time to upgrade anyways.
My last 6.0 patch upgrade had an interesting phenomenon. Staging of three of the patches worked without a hitch. Before I could install the next patch, however, I had to cold-reboot the nodes. A soft reboot caused a red message to the console complaining about a module that would not load: a module I did not recognize, and now cannot remember. However, when this happened I did a cold reboot, and everything looks like it worked.
My infrastructure recently underwent a catastrophic failure from which recovery was more tedious than difficult. An iSCSI server running from a KVM server using Open vSwitch decided to go south. Why? I am still trying to figure that out. The long and short of it is that Open vSwitch running within a CentOS 7 KVM has a pretty major performance glitch. I hope to fix that soon. So, what happened?
I have recently been trying to tie my Polycom SoundPoint IP 550 phones to a FortiVoice-VM (FVM) Voice over IP (VoIP) system. This is an attempt to upgrade from our TalkSwitch PSTN to VoIP gateway system. Our goal is to move everything we can into our virtual environment. Currently, our phone system is the last system to migrate into our virtual environment. However, it is just not as easy as expected. Continue reading Upgrading Polycom Soundpoint IP 550 Phones
I recently rebooted my KVM server. When I do this, I often have to run a script to update Open vSwitch by removing unused ports, but this reboot messed up my entire iSCSI bond and vSwitch configuration. It looks like some of the control files for when you reboot the node were broken and needed to be repaired. Now, I am still not sure why these steps are required, but they do fix the problem for me.